Did you know...
- Approximately 643,067 people are homeless on any given night in the U.S. (as of 2009).
- Roughly 1 in every 200 persons in the US uses a shelter system at some point in the year.
- 1 out of every 3 homeless people are under the age of 18.
- Approximately half of all runaways were physically abused before fleeing home.
- In 2007, 12.5% of the U.S. population, or 37,300,00 million people, lived in poverty.
- Homeless who experience sexual abuse have higher rates of substance abuse.
- About 40 percent of homeless work part or full time during any given month.
- Approximate million people experience an episode of homelessness during a given year.
- There is not enough emergency shelter to meet the need.
- Polls found that 60 percent of those surveyed indicated a willingness to pay more taxes to help people who are homeless.
Do you need help?
For more information, please visit these sources: